We’re back and we’re recharged! … Well, almost ^ I’d say we’re at about 90% recharged at the moment, after a long weekend in Sydney on what is possibly the first “holiday” Dani and I have taken since we drove to Adelaide last December. 10 months of 7 day weeks? No wonder we were getting a bit snappy last month.
The longer story is that I was planning to do a one day up-and-back reconnaissance mission a few weeks ago to check out a few Leather suppliers up there, but a ‘computer error’ left me standing at the boarding gate in Melbourne with no tickets. So Dani and I decided to make the most of a bad situation and changed it up to a long weekend holiday… which was MUCH better.
We also had some luck finding that good friends of ours had to fly to Melbourne at the same time = free accomodation in Darlinghurst! bam.
That proved to be the extent of our good luck, cos it freakin rained the whole weekend…
We did get to head to Bondi beach on the Friday, so it wasnt all bad weather, but any plans to wander in the sun were shelved on Saturday and Sunday, and we had to do the Art Gallery / Retail wander instead.
So, as a quick review of what we found, what we saw and what we bought :
– We visited Gaffa… and it totally rules. An artist run gallery / studio / meeting space in the CBD. Housed in a beautiful building, full of lovely people and great craft / art. Dani will probably post something more about them later on when she starts stocking her work there.
– We visited Birdsall Leather and NSW Leather and found them both to be run by nice, friendly and enthusiastic people (once we got past the digs about being from Melbourne).
I ordered a bunch of leather to get shipped down here soon. Woo.
– We stumbled upon Kinokuniya – an insane Japanese bookstore in the CBD. We bought 10 books, and had to post them home to ourselves because they blew out our carry on luggage weight allowance. More on the books when they arrive (i’ll take some photos), but for now here’s a pic of the ‘visual reference’ section… hundreds of books of just images, patterns and vintage sketches etc. Perfect for creating a library of inspiration! We bought quite a few.
– I dragged Dani around the wanky luxury fashion boutiques, then realised i’ve seen almost everything on the internet, and we left underwhelmed. I did manage to snap a shitty photo of the new Miu Miu shoes in the window display… out of focus I know, I was dashing in from the rain, but you get the idea.
– Dani found a Marimekko store and was in love with EVERYTHING in the shop. I had to nudge her out before we spent money we dont have. Perhaps we’ll try to stock their stuff at D+B sometime.
– We also found a World NZ store, and spent a fair bit of time in there talking to the staff. Cool people, nice vibes and we ended up buying 2 bottles of room perfume that smell like dirt and leather. Crazy stuff.
– We spent one evening by the harbour having beers and seafood, but it was cold, the seafood was fried and it got dark fast, so you know, not exactly what we hoped for.
– We ate at lots of nice places, drank good coffee and generally got over any “Sydney is too ____ and Melbourne has better ____” preconceptions… turns out it’s nice, and we like it. Dani even mused that she could live there if needs be, so we’ll see how the Melbourne market takes to our luxury goods… if they wont buy then I’m damn sure those leggy Sydney gals will!
Thanks for reading, and look out for lots of stuff this week… I’ve taken some extended time off from my other work to put in a few solid weeks of shoe planning, drawing and prototyping. Very ex-fuckin-citing.
Listening to : Odd Future mixtapes