So shoe fans, what’s the only thing better than a handmade pair of shoes?
That’s right… TWO pairs of handmade shoes!
Seeing as the first pair of perforated oxfords were a little tight (and I was kind of keen to put them on the shelf as the ‘first nice pair’ of shoes I have made) I knocked up a second pair in a size larger, as blogged about last week.
I am happy to report Dani is very impressed and is looking forward to ‘wearing them every day’… which is why they have a Topy sole and some slightly goofy laces that might get changed later on.
Due to a convenient work scheduling last week I had 6 days in a row away from my computer, which meant I could almost experience a proper working week as a shoe maker, apart from the usual weekend family and booze related breaks from my desk.
I managed to complete these new ones, and get most of the way through the t-bar sandals.
I also did some studio-space negotiations that should result in me having another shoe maker in there with me in a few weeks time. woo! shared tools! More about that when it’s locked in.
These ones probably took the same amount of time as the last pair, but I am becoming aware of which parts are easy and which tasks take deceptively long.
- Cutting and sewing – Pretty quick apart from some akward lining / tongue / upper intersections
- Lasting – Getting faster, except I always forget to factor in the counter and toe puff, and the fact that they need to be wet, then let dry.
- Sole + Heels – Forgeddaboutit. Always takes me 2 hours longer than I expect. I need to look around for pre-made bits instead of stacking heels all the time*
- Finishing – Painful. Cleaning things up, driving to buy shoe laces, fussing over scratches… all time consuming.
* I dont use pre-made heels, I cut and stack up 3 or4 layers of leather to make a block, then shape it on the shoe.
I’m off to bed as it’s back to computer-land for me tomorrow, but I hope to get back in to the studio asap and get to work on a little something for myself for once.
Listening to : nothing (its all silent at the moment after I cracked the sh*ts at my camera for not working earlier)